The Libyan national, who is in his 50s, has been told the investigation against him will not proceed “at this time”
A PRIME suspect in the shooting of PC Yvonne Fletcher was released from police bail yesterday as cops said national security prevented evidence being used against him in court.
Dr Saleh Ibrahim Mabrouk, in his 50s, was in charge of suppressing opposition to Libyan tyrant Colonel Gaddafi.
He claimed asylum in the UK after the dictator’s fall in 2011 and was arrested by the Met over the 1984 murder of the unarmed PC.
She was 25 and had been on duty at an anti-Gaddafi demo when an automatic weapon was fired from the country’s London embassy.
The Met said it had “enough material to identify those responsible”.
But “key material has not been made available for use in evidential form for reasons of national security”.
The force refused to elaborate but informed Mabrouk he was being released from bail.
Met assistant commissioner Mark Rowley said the decision was taken with “regret” — and vowed the hunt for Yvonne’s killers would continue. Her family said they were “deeply disappointed and frustrated”.
KIM NUKE FEARS
Shocking new satellite photos show North Korea’s nuclear missiles are MORE powerful than world feared and could soon hit the US
TOO BRAINy FOR JAIL
Oxford student surgeon who stabbed Tinder boyfriend could avoid prison because it would hinder her career
meg’s mystery meet-up
Schoolgirl, 16, had secret date with older man before she was found dead in ‘staged’ car crash, pals say
BIT OF A BOOB!
Moment BBC reporter pushes woman away by the breast when she interrupts live interview – and gets a slap
LAIRS OF EVIL
Takeaway restaurants where sick ‘Three Girls’ Rochdale grooming gang launched terrifying attacks on children revealed
Danniella Westbrook in tears as she’s marched off easyJet flight to Malaga after row with stag party
From fake tattoos and crop tops to making a poodle Air Force chief – the King of Thailand’s maddest moments revealed
‘I PRAYED FOR A NORMAL LIFE’
Beauty queen daughter of ex-England footballer Ian Walker reveals her battle with anxiety and depression
ARE YOU THE LUCKY WINNER?
National Lottery results live: Winning EuroMillions numbers for Tuesday 16 May £83m jackpot
Horrified girl, 8, rushed to hospital after a SPIDER crawled out of an oozing wound in her leg while she was taking a bath
Horrified mum says Google Street View published naked pics of her two kids playing in paddling pool
LOAD OF DOUGH
Hero blogger Marcus Hutchins who halted NHS cyber attack rewarded with £7,800 and free pizza for a year
Breach of the pizza
Hungry cops park illegally with blue lights flashing… so they can collect posh pizza
JEZ’S DEAD PLEDGE
Jeremy Corbyn’s plan to bankrupt Britain collapses as experts say his sums DON’T add up and his own team abandons it
RAF Reaper drone stops public execution by Isis after crew spots prisoners being led to their deaths
DOG SEX HUBBY CAGED
Pensioner who encouraged his partner, 64, to have sex with three DOGS at depraved orgy is jailed
Nearly 50 girls were groomed and sexually abused by a sex ring in Rochdale – we reveal all
Steve White, of the Police Federation, said: “Can the law really be fit for purpose? This will look to many like people can get away with murder.”
Ken Marsh, chairman of the Met Police Federation branch, added: “We still cling on to hope we will get who did it.”
A family statement said: “We understand that some available evidence could not be used in court but are satisfied that the Metropolitan Police has left no stone unturned in its pursuit of justice in Yvonne’s case.
“The family would like to thank the Met for its continued hard work and diligence and also for always keeping us informed at every turn.
“We are deeply disappointed and frustrated that a prosecution cannot proceed at this time.
“We had hoped that the latest turn of events would finally lead to some closure for the family.
“The family will make no further comment at this time.”
Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at email@example.com or call 0207 782 4368